The Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society

ORIGINAL ABSTRACT
Year
: 2018  |  Volume : 18  |  Issue : 6  |  Page : 56-

5. Performance and acceptability of an innovative wheel chair recliner among patients and dental practitioners


Bhaskar Agarwal 
 King Georges Medical University

Correspondence Address:




How to cite this article:
Agarwal B. 5. Performance and acceptability of an innovative wheel chair recliner among patients and dental practitioners.J Indian Prosthodont Soc 2018;18:56-56


How to cite this URL:
Agarwal B. 5. Performance and acceptability of an innovative wheel chair recliner among patients and dental practitioners. J Indian Prosthodont Soc [serial online] 2018 [cited 2019 Sep 18 ];18:56-56
Available from: http://www.j-ips.org/text.asp?2018/18/6/56/246661


Full Text



Performance and acceptability of an innovative wheel chair recliner among patients and dental practitioners. Background: good oral health plays a big role to achieve good systemic health and it becomes more important for the persons who are specially-abled. According to census 2011, 2.1% of the population has one or the other type of special ability. Out of these 27% have movement issues. An automated wheel chair recliner was devised that helps to mimic dental chair functioning at wheelchair itself.. Aim:to measure the performance and acceptability of wheel chair recliner among patients and dental practitioners.. Method: 100 wheelchair bound patients and 50-dental practitioners were evaluated. Patients were assessed by eight items questionnaire covering patient comfort/acceptability related with positioning, reclining, repositioning, fear of fall, joy, discomfort, perception regarding dentist’s discomfort and use in future. Dental practitioners were evaluated on 7-items, withrespect to handling, positioning, reclining, operability, working area needs and perception of safety using. . Results: out of a total possible score of 32, 2% patients had score <16, 18% had score 17-20, 37% had score 21-24, 39% had score 25-28 and 3% had score >28. Mean scores on a 10-point scale ranged from 2.47±1.23 (handling) to 3.40±0.74 (perception of safety). Mean total scores were 45.98±3.81. Majority (78%) had acceptability score graded as good (score 42-56) remaining 22% had scores graded as fair (score 35-42).. Conclusion: the acceptability rates were good to very good in both dental practitioners and patients. The use of wheelchair recliner could be recommended in routine clinical practice..